Friday, November 19, 2010

Hi My Name is Kiera. (hi, kiera)

November 19th.  There is much significance in this day.  Today is the day that I'm starting my three month challenge of sobriety.  "Alcoholism," "Drinking Problems," and "Sobriety" are all very relative terms.  For instance, I don't drink alone.  Of course, "alone" is relative, too.

Dr, let's call him, today suggested (mere suggestion) and questioned, "what would happen if you went three months without drinking, starting today?  Now until February 19?  What would you say on 02/19?"  I replied something (okay, no, verbatim) "bottoms up!"  and/or "I'm skinny!"  Wrong answer.  What I was supposed to say is, "oh boy I feel good because I haven't a drink in 3 months" or "Oh boy I can't wait to pour myself a tall one."  All which conclude to ---------> drinking problem.

So here we are the morning after last night where a social drink with a friend turned into a frat party.  For me only though, because she had a modest Mike Hard Lemonade and I had um more.  And my husband's simple wind down Oktoberfest (because it's last call for Oktoberfest, people.  Get 'em while they last.) for him turned into me cheering his bottle thrice over.

So let's give a little background.  Because anyone can be an "alcoholic" and anyone can have a "drinking problem."  (Remember quotes equal relativity.)  I'm 24 and have three kids 4 and under.  I stay at home.  I know!  Is there anything more cliche?  Which means I'm a.... desperate housewife?

I'd rather blog about these 3 months than go to AA 1) because I'm not an alcoholic (blah blah blah I know step one is admitting.) 2) I'd be anything other than anonymous.  ie I wouldn't want to see my ex boyfriend and uncle.  And friend.  And friend of a friend.  and Mom's friend, too.  (Birds of a feather flock together which means.....)  3) This is just three months, people.  This isn't going to be my whole life.

I think I'll finish this Day One post up and head over to my bookcase.  Over the summer I snagged the book "Alcoholics Anonymous" (Hi, Bill) at a garage sale because it's one of those just-in-case books.  Foreshadowing?  Perhaps.  Or maybe it's just like my Dave Ramsy book, Bible, Dr Sears, Joy of Cooking and Great Expectations.  The basics.  The staples.  ahem.
the kiss of death.

So who's with me?  Who'll be sober for the next three months?

*crickets*

A little moral support never hurt, anyway.

6 comments:

  1. whaaaaat?!? another blog and a drinking problem? what is going on here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Either this is some evil joke or you are trying to hold yourself VERY accountable, Kiwi. We needs to talk. Cheerio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it bad that i became a follower of this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um... good luck?! Haha! You crazy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought giving up wine and liquor for lent was bad, but beer too? Not a chance! Maybe that means I have a problem, but I'm not motivated to do any fixing :)

    Good luck friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck... shit maybe I need to be your virtual buddy and join this challenge. you can totally do this.

    ReplyDelete